Monday, August 10, 2015

I'm Back!

I apologize for the hiatus. Since I last posted, I completed my graduate program, finalized my certification with the state and got a job!




So naturally, after all of that happened, I took the summer off. But even when taking it off, I was able to meet with a trainer for the Check and Connect program. Started from the U of M, Check and Connect is an engagement intervention aimed at reducing student drop out by creating a weekly connection opportunity for students who need additional support. 

While  most of our conversation seemed like common sense, I realized that the simplicity of having someone to connect with to build protective factors seems simple because that is what counselors pride themselves on. However, this program, based in research and implementation with fidelity, provides a great way to build the knowledge that required two years of training for school counselors. Since this program needs to be voluntary, the buy in has to be there. Luckily the research is already started!

Even though I am not planning on implementing this program my first year as a professional, it will definitely be something I keep in mind as I continue to practice!




No comments:

Post a Comment